Wednesday 19 June 2013

Custom Gaming Mechanical Keyboard



So I decided I would jump in on the custom keyboard scene by getting myself into the Phantom PCB group buy.  Unfortunately I have not had much practice soldering and its construction was a bit daunting for me to attempt on such a valuable kit.  WhiteFireDragon from the geekhack forums has put in the work to build this beauty for me using a Filco TKL White case. 

The idea behind my switch selection were that I loved the feel of reds for the WASD keys as they're very soft and quick to actuate.  Gaming gets intense sometimes and pressing a harder key causes finger strain.  Coming from a rubber dome where I have often had finger cramps my current CM Storm Quickfire Rapid just feels so much gentler.  I went with red for all the alphas as I wanted to ensure typing felt consistent.

For the number row I went with whites for a soft click.  Numbers are often used for switching weapons so a pronounced tactile click will let me know I've hit the key long before the switch animation finishes.  Again for consistency I went with a full row, except for the tilde and backspace keys which are used a little more often.  I chose whites over blues because the louder click would get annoying when switching weapons often is required.

The modifiers are brown to give that soft tactile feedback for keys that are usually kept held down.  This was a choice based on my brothers observation whilst testing my QFR.  He said he couldn't tell when he had pressed shift due to it being so light.  The lightness of the browns keeps the pressure consistent with the reds but their slight bump in actuation would ensure each user would know when the switch has actuated.  I went ahead and picked them for all the common modifier keys that are held during both gaming and typing.

The function row and 6 key cluster are using ergo clears for a nice pronounced actuation bump.  These keys are rarely used so having a more pronounced bump means there won't be any accidental keypresses.  The only exceptions are the Prt Sc key (green switch to simulate a loud camera click) and scroll lock (grey switch for a harder actuation force).

I've also gone with grey switches for the more obscure keys that I don't usually use.  Caps Lock, Windows and Fn keys use the much harder Grey Switch.  This is to make sure I don't hit the Windows key during gameplay, or SIMULATE YELLING when typing during in game chats.

I use the arrow keys a lot during Photoshop editing for fine pixel perfect movements.  I've gone with blue as the loud click helps me keep count of how many pixels I'm moving each way.

Finally blacks for escape and space.  Space for jump usually means I'm striking that key a little harder than the rest subconsciously.  Black switches are smooth like reds but much heavier to actuate.  It'll help alleviate the impact on the switch by using a heavier spring.  The escape key is black just because it's used more often than the rest of the function row and often hit consecutive times so a linear switch just makes more sense.



Thanks again to WhiteFireDragon!
You're too awesome!


11 comments:

  1. Nice keyboard. Very well thought out key switch selection. It sounds as if the the design allows swappable switches, so if you don't like a particular section as they are you can switch them to a different type. Very cool. I am thinking about using this key layout for a custom of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing I might wonder if you will regret is the selection of a black for the space bar. Considering how often space is used, your thumb might not like it too much (that's assuming you will be using this keyboard for regular typing also. I was just noticing that my current keyboard, a CM Storm TK with Reds, has a light actuation force for the space and even that seems to heavy to me. Strange. Must be a personal preference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It used to be quite common for the space bar to be a higher actuation switch than the rest of the keys. A lot of the older vintage Cherry MX keyboards like the much sought after Dolch for example, used blue switches with a green switch for space bar. I've heard of vintage black switch keyboards using a dark grey switch (really high actuation force) for space bar also.

      It's actually quite strange but when I hit space bar to jump I strike it quite hard with my thumb so it works out well, but during regular typing I noticed that I actually use my right index finger 98% of the time. It doesn't feel very different in practice as I tend to bottom out my keys but the difference is definitely there when I compare it. I'll swap a red in and give it a try one day.

      Delete
  3. I'm playing with an old (full black) Cherry MX keyboard and after a few hours of play, my hands feel tired ... ahah !

    Your key layout seems really great and I'm really excited to build my own Phantom keyboard, inspired by your work..

    After a few months, do you have any improvements to suggest ? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for the kind words. The only improvement I've made is to change the white switch springs to softer ones from red/blue/brown switches. During regular fps play they really felt stiff in comparison to the surrounding keys. If you don't mind a louder click, blues will work just fine in their place.

      Delete
  4. Hi! I really like your layout and your setup seems optimal for most gamers. I've been looking into making a keyboard myself and I was just wondering why you chose to use reds for the letters instead of blues. Are reds more quiet, but have the same actuation as blues? Also if you don't mind me asking, how much was everything together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reds are the quietest of the light actuation switches because they have no bump or click. They have a straight slider that requires the same amount of force from top to bottom. http://deskthority.net/wiki/ is a good resource to find out more.

      As for how much it cost all up, I've honestly lost count. I'd say a ballpark figure would be between $200-240 but could easily be less if you desolder the switches off the board you will be placing the Phantom inside. It could also end up costing a lot more if you go with a customised after market case.

      Delete
  5. Hi! May I know how much did it cost and how did you get it him to like make it for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. For its price, the Tomoko 104-key keyboard offers immense value, as long as you don’t mind the loud volume of the blue switches. affordable mechanical keyboard

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, thanks for such an informative article. I loved your article and found it very helpful. If someone is looking to buy most affordable mechanical keyboards then I'd love to recommend this list of best cheap mechanical keyboards under $100. Trust me you will find the best collection of budget friendly options on this link. Don't hesitate to pay a visit.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valuable information in your blog and I really appreciate your work and keep it up dude I really very informative blog about the keyboard just keep posting.
    keyboard for android

    ReplyDelete